In Resources, you can curate a collection of resources designed to assist your mentees and mentors. But where will mentees and mentors find these resources? Below, we discuss the following topics:
- The User Experience: What resources look like from the vantage point of a user
- How to Manage Resources and Quick Access: How to test and manage the user experience, introducing "quick access" control.
- Managing Resources Across Multiple Tracks: Find out what changes when you are running multiple mentoring tracks (Enterprise Edition customers only).
The User Experience
End users access resources in two places:
1. A drop-down menu in the main navigation bar, visible from any page in the system.
Note that clicking "View All" from the top of that menu takes the user to a page showing a list of all the resources.
TIP: You can link directly to the complete "Resources" page: for example, you could insert a link in a facilitation message, system email, task, or bulk message. Some admins do this as a "first defense" for user support, e.g., "For questions, please visit our help center at [Insert Resources URL]. If you don't find the answer there, please click "Contact Admin" at the top right."
2. On the Home page
The resources listed here will be the same as those shown in the drop-down.
During resource creation, you'll choose whether to show some or all resources in the menu. If you have a lot of resources, you may wish to highlight only the most important ones in the drop-down menu to avoid overwhelming your users.
How to Manage Resources and Quick Access
1. To add a resource at the track level, from the Manage page, click the Engagement card, then click the following icon:
2. Click "Actions" and select "Add new resource."
3. Add a title and body content. The title will be added to your list of resources. It's a good idea to make it descriptive, keeping in mind that users will need to click on the title before seeing the body.
In the body section, you have options beyond headings and text: you can also insert images, embed video, and attach files.
TIP: Some admins create a library of documents within a single resource. You can do this by attaching multiple files and organizing them into a table of contents within the body of the resource.
4. You will see an option to "Provide Quick Access to this Resource." This will display the resource in the Resources drop-down menu and in the side pane of the Home page. You can also choose to expose the resource to one or both user roles.
Managing Resources Across Multiple Program Tracks
If you have the Enterprise Edition of Chronus Mentor and you are using multiple tracks, there is an additional layer of management at the global level. Here's what you need to know:
1. You can create resources at the global level or at the track level.
2. Resources created at the global level cannot be edited at the track level.
3. The decision to provide quick access can ONLY be made at the track level. Don't forget to check your quick access list in each track!
4. Resources created at the global level can be displayed or hidden in individual tracks either from the global level or the track level. To hide from the track level, uncheck the "mentor " and "mentee" boxes so it shows to neither role.
5. Resources cannot be reordered from the global level. The admins for each track can order their resources as they see fit.
6. Resources made at the track level can be manually copied and added to the global level. This might occur if a track-level admin creates a resource that appears to have broad application, and you wish to elevate it across all tracks.
For more on multi-track resource management and for tips on how to attach files or embed text, watch this video.